Road tolls and traffic laws

Main Content

Each country enforces distinct driving regulations and guidelines, making it prudent to verify these well in advance.

 We provide crucial insights to consider when renting a vehicle overseas:

🟨 Highway Vignettes

When embarking on journeys through certain countries like Austria, Switzerland, Slovenia, and Hungary, it's imperative to secure a special permit for highway travel, typically in the form of a vignette affixed to your vehicle's front windshield.
Consequently, as you cross the border, you must ensure that you possess the requisite vignette to use the highways, even if you're merely passing through these countries without picking up or dropping off your vehicle there.

Prior to crossing from one country to another, it's crucial to determine whether an additional vignette is required at the border checkpoint. Be mindful that lacking the appropriate vignette can result in substantial fines.

Furthermore, in numerous countries, toll charges apply on certain roads independently of the vignette. In countries like the United States, Italy, France, Portugal, Norway, and others, you'll encounter toll booths when entering or exiting highways.

In selected countries, car rental companies may provide a device that can be installed in your rental vehicle, making toll payments more convenient and sometimes even offering discounts. In the United States, for instance, this device is known as the "Toll-pass," while in Portugal, it's referred to as "Via Varde." If you're renting a car in the US, it's advisable to inquire about the availability of such a device at the time of pickup.

🟨 Traffic Regulations

Traffic laws can vary significantly from one state to another, so it's essential to familiarize yourself with them and exercise caution accordingly.
In addition to speed limits and international traffic signage in Europe, it's customary to enforce restrictions on vehicle access to city centers.

For instance, in London and Stockholm, you may be required to pay a congestion charge when entering specific zones, and in Italy, the commonly seen sign in some cities reads "zona a traffico limitato," which is easy to overlook.

ZTL - ona a Traffico Limitato - השכרת רכב באיטליה

Missing these restrictions could result in you being photographed by a local authority camera, prompting the rental company to request your name and address to facilitate the processing of a traffic report.
Please be aware that rental companies typically charge an administrative fee for providing your driver information to the relevant authorities.

Ofran wishes you a safe trip.

Sign up to our newsletter for tips, updates and promos